Tuesday 6 August 2024

Definition of success

 I listened to a podcast Off the Grid: leaving social media without losing clients.  Host Amelia Hruby. The episode title was "success is a cycle". It was extremely interesting as it got me thinking about success in a totally different way.  Not achieving goals and climbing the ladder (of success).

Amelia talked about the script society has for us that success is achieving education, job, promotion, family, six figure income. The script of we are not successful until we reached those goals or others. Then, often the goals change. 

But....what about it we looked at success as a feeling. What we are doing and wanting. Not a goal or somewhere we have to be. Goals written by others. Success as a feeling.

So, I decided to change my definition of success. Amelia also said for her it is feelings and wanting that should line-up. Also acknowledging that success, like joy, grief, is always coming in and out of our lives. We are not always successful or joyful. Success like other emotions is a cycle. We are working toward that so.

So my success definition is:

1.  having enough money to enjoy my life (now and in the future)

2.  doing things that bring me joy

3.  working towards being healthier 

4.  filling my life with positive people and experiences

I might add more to my success definition.  This is my start.  

What would your definition of success be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment